Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Before midnight

There are probably about five movies that have really marked me and Before Sunrise, with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, is one of them. I remember watching the (dare I say cringe-worthy) scene where Jesse and Celine uncomfortably listen to a song in a music booth like it was yesterday and it always brings me back to the "root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a tree called life."  


That moment, and film, defined for me at the tender age of 20 what love was all about. 

It was something that happened between two people who connected at an almost cellular level and could be content no matter where they were, how much money they had or what they were doing.

“This is all we need. A couple of smokes, a cup of coffee, and a little bit of conversation. You and me and five bucks.” (Spoken, strangely enough, by the Hawkester in another one of my defining movies; Reality Bites.)  

But it was also something fleeting, ephemeral.

When Before Sunset came out nine years later I was overjoyed and also forced to reconsider. Jesse and Celine were being given another chance. True, a lot of time had gone by, Jesse had been married and divorced and Celine had experienced a string of seemingly loserish relationships but hope was not yet lost.  

And now, yet another nine years later, the story has come full circle. Jesse and Celine are married. They have children. And, by the looks of the trailer, they are still in love.


"Sometimes I feel like you're breathing helium and I'm breathing oxygen." Ha!

I first read the happy news about Before Midnight, the third and presumably last installment chronicling one of the greatest love stories of all time, this morning while perusing Lainey Gossip. It. Made. My. Day. 












here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)



* All pictures were taken in Vienna except for the last one which was taken in Paris. The poem is by E. E. Cummings.





   

No comments:

Post a Comment