Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Art or shmart?

"The whole street is just kind of like, 'Oh yeah, the dolls.'" 

The dolls in question number in the hundreds. They adorn the fence, lawn and even the front of the house. They're creepy (in my opinion) and I definitely don't get what they're doing there.

But some people might call it art.

The doll house is a two-storey, semi-detached in Leslieville - a great neighbourhood in Toronto's east end that I had the pleasure of living in some years back - that is literally decorated with hundreds of dolls. The first time I came across it I was on my way to the gym, taking a leisurely walk down a tree-lined and sun-dappled street.

It was quite a sight. It definitely provoked a reaction. Does that make it art? Or shmart?

I asked myself a similar question not long ago in Montreal, when I first saw a parking metre wrapped in a scarf.  


My father, who I was with at the time of the sighting, quickly launched into a (rather comical and off-topic) tirade about how young people should spend their time leaf  sweeping, so as to prevent the sewage drains from overflowing, "instead of wasting it being scarf artists." 

Ummm... okay. That's one way of looking at it.

Since that time I've seen quite a number of public poles (that sounds weird) wrapped in a variety of fabrics. Referred to as "yarn bombing," "yarn storming" and even "knit graffiti," the practice consists of wrapping public architecture with knit or crocheted material. Apparently it was started by a group called Knitta Please in Texas in 2005.  




Ummm... okay.

All I know is that I'm coocoo for birdcages!











No comments:

Post a Comment