Thursday, January 9, 2014

YOLO

Sometimes, I can't see the forest for the trees.

I get so overwhelmed by the minutiae of everyday life that I forget how blessed I am just to be alive.

After a particularly detoxifying (sweaty!) hot yoga class last night I went home and made an ever-so-slightly barf-inducing tofu and vegetable stir-fry.

Side note: Is it possible to be too healthy, like... to the detriment of your actual health?

When I was done, I felt like I could finally see the forest for what it is.

Life. 

My life. 

When I was younger I used to look down at the ground while walking around (I thought I was looking for lost money but according to a quick internet search it turns out I was actually shy). Everything was dirty, dark and gross. Also, there were lots of cigarette butts.

A slight adjustment in my posture, looking up - and around - instead of down, totally changed my perspective (if not my attitude).

Life in Montreal has been a little like the filthy ground of my youth lately. Dirty, dark and gross. 

Not to mention cold and rude. 

And hectic.

When I first moved back here in August everything looked shiny and bright - full of hope and promise. The trees, streets and buildings all held a little magic. 

That magic has since been replaced by work, apartment living and... the minutiae of everyday life.

In an effort to recapture a little of that magic, I thought I'd dig up (or download) some pictures I took of my hometown upon my return.

















 clearly, i didn't take this one

PS: On my way into work this morning I came across a handwritten sign that someone had made and taped to a pole. It said "Smile!" I wanted to take a picture of it but I also didn't want frostbite. The sign achieved its goal though... it made me smile. And guess what? I wouldn't have seen it if I had been looking down.

 the killers

PPS. YOLO. "The battle cry of a generation." Too funny...

the lonely island




No comments:

Post a Comment