Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Girls, girls, girls

After watching the same show online for years I've finally found a new one.

Girls.

I had seen bits and bobs (literally) of it on HBO when I still had cable, and a television, last year but it never really hooked me. 

Until I decided to give it a chance.

Directed by, written by and starring the inimitable Lena Dunham, Girls tells the story of a group of 20-something women (or girls?) living in New York City.

Sound familiar?

Dunham plays Hannah Horvath, a budding, yet struggling, writer with a propensity (also known as obsessive-compulsive disorder) for the number 8. 

Or 64.


Apart from portraying OCD with brutal honesty, and courage, Girls aims to portray a number of issues, including friendship, relationships, sex and addiction with integrity. 

It also nailed loneliness. 


Another great aspect of the show is the music. From well-known hits to lesser-known gems, the 3 seasons I perused over a series of near-hibernation-like days introduced, and re-introduced, me to some great tunes.

Including...

 britney bitch

icona pop

cali swag district

the echo friendly

... and the previously referenced Robyn.


Not to mention the fact that season 2 featured Donald Glover, aka Childish Gambino, as Hannah's black, Republican boyfriend.


Said Glover about his role on the show: I need those people too, (referring to haters) because if everyone enjoys what you're doing you're just not growing. You need a conversation to get to that point.

And this is why he has haters... 


But personally, I'm a lover.

Speaking of love... who else LOVED Yoko Ono at the Grammys this weekend?


Peace out!








No comments:

Post a Comment