Thursday, September 11, 2014

Nailing it

Before nail art was even a thing, I was a nail artist.  Unbeknownst to teenaged me, tiny Union Jacks on tiny fingernails would one day be considered normal ordinary trite.   

Nowadays, nail art is such a big thing that I could literally pin it all day. From Jin Soon Choi and Jenna Hipp to Kimmie Kyees, it seems like everyone is a nail artist these days.

nails by ursula

more nails by yours truly

With titles like "nail guru," and sentences that include the likes of "her art can be seen on the fingertips of...," it's obvs that nails are now very big business.

 dead presidents

And growing.

If, and that's a big if, Justin can be credited with bringing sexy back I'm of the opinion that Rihanna brought nails back (while sexy tagged along). 

Thanks to her stilettos, and I don't mean the ones on her feet, manicurists the world over are now sighing, well, a sigh. 

Of relief and rejoicing.

 serious stiletto nails

The time for jokes about "beautiful nail... just one" are definitely over and manicurists, or nail stylists, are definitely having the last laugh.

"she say you look so pretty"

The reason I've been so nail absorbed lately is my latest acquisition. 

An anchor tattoo.

On my hand.  

 ahoy matey!

Ever since a friend oh-so-casually mentioned that my hand "looks like it has rickets," I've been of the opinion that it, and the anchor, would be greatly enhanced by a killer set of claws.

Like Khloe Kardashian's. 


Historically, long nails have always been associated with wealth as they intuit that the person donning them does not have to do manual labour. According to the Straight Dope, ladies of the imperial Chinese court used to wear ornate fingernail protectors to guard their talons from wear and tear.

Kind of like this:



If you think you're ready for a nailgasm, or "the physical and emotional sensation experienced at the peak of excitation from the artistic treatment of fingernails," check out the trailer for the documentary by the same name:

nailgasm, the documentary

Now that you're convinced (!), do like Nicole Richie and get a house call... from
Kimmie Kyees no less!

 "am i screaming at someone with my nails?"

Nailed it!


I only have one question. Should I go pointy or not?





 

No comments:

Post a Comment