Friday, February 21, 2014

The dark side of personal blogging

Remember being in school (elementary and/or high) and being called fat, ugly or stupid?

How did it make you feel? 

My guess is pretty bad. 

Maybe even really bad.

I bet you still remember that one kid bully who made your life miserable. 

I remember the guy who called me a "sandwich" because it rhymed with my last name. It was far from being the worst thing anyone had (or has) ever said to me but I remember it to this day. 

Just like I remember the boy who punched me in the stomach...after spying on me in the girls' washroom.

Now that I'm an adult, I figured I was done with bullies.

I figured wrong.

Welcome to the world of cyber bullies.


Over the past couple of weeks, an anonymous person has been posting comments intended to provoke some sort of emotional response from me. Apparently I'm not the only one.

Sorry to disappoint. 

I don't have one.

I will say that it's too bad you don't have the courage to share your identity, thereby avoiding responsibility and accountability for what you say. If you did, we could interact on a level playing field... though I really don't know how, or why, I would interact with someone who thinks I'm an "immature, self-indulgent, narcissist who writes badly."

In an attempt to inform myself on the growing trend of cyber bullying, and understand why a stranger (or not!) would want to hurt someone they don't even know, I came across an interesting article in Scientific American.

In it, the author describes bullying as "a type of aggression in which (1) the behaviour is intended to harm or disturb, (2) the behaviour occurs repeatedly over time, and (3) there is an imbalance of power, with a more powerful person person or group attacking a less powerful one by virtue of his/her ability to anonymously attack."



I've been writing this blog since 2012 and thankfully, this is my first experience with trolling. The community on this blog has, until most recently, been troll-free as well as supportive, kind and compassionate. 

Thanks everyone!













No comments:

Post a Comment