Monday, February 10, 2014

Sometimes my arms bend back

The title of this post may have led you to believe that it's about yoga but it isn't. It's about Twin Peaks

I was 15 years old when Twin Peaks first aired in 1990. Needless to say, I didn't really get it.

Actually, I really didn't get it. Like, at all.

It took several years of maturation, numerous viewings of the show (and movie), a reading of The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer and the analyzing of several articles/essays on David Lynch (who now runs a transcendental meditation-based foundation for at-risk populations) to even begin to understand, and appreciate, the genius that was Twin Peaks and is David Lynch.  

For those of you who haven't had the time, or pleasure, to "peek" into Lynch's disturbed, and disturbing, vision of a fictional Washington town here is a summary (that will not do it justice): "Twin Peaks follows the investigation headed by FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper into the murder of homecoming queen Laura Palmer. It explores the gulf between the veneer of small-town respectability and the seedier layers of life lurking beneath it."

  laura's prom picture

Or so says Wikipedia

There are many things about the show that made it special. The locale. The characters. The actors who portrayed them. The music. The symbolism. The creamed corn (and garmonbozia).   

this one's for you, elana

I really got into Twin Peaks when I was 23 and living in Japan. The video store at the corner of my street stocked an eclectic mix of American television series, including TP. I started with the pilot and immediately got hooked. I would watch a few episodes every night. When I went to bed, I'd be totally freaked out.

I also developed an aversion to fans.


And the name Bob.

A few years ago, I bought a big roll of clear, heavy plastic at Halloween. My plan was to go as Laura, "dead and wrapped in plastic." I can't remember why I didn't do it that year, but every year since I ask myself if I really want to spend the night wrapped in plastic.

Every year, the answer is invariably no.

Will 2014 be different?

  dead and wrapped in plastic





 

1 comment:

  1. My "fan" memory is from a train trip in India. We were on our way to Puna --it was an overnight trip and I had the top bunk. Being on top did not bother me, however the fan, which buzzed and turned slowly all night, and did not look at all like the one posted here, was approximately 6 inches away from my face. Sleep never happened!

    ReplyDelete