Tuesday, February 4, 2014

And justice for all

Every so often, I come across a story that breaks my heart. When that happens, I try to do something, anything, to help.

It started with David Milgaard who spent 23 years in jail for a rape, and murder, that he did not commit. 

I was in my early teens at the time. I remember writing a few letters to the editor, doing a school project about wrongful convictions and making a t-shirt that read "And justice for all - free David Milgaard."

My actions probably didn't amount to much anything but I naively thought that if just ONE person read up on David Milgaard because of my shirt then one more person would be on his side, fighting for justice (for all).

 The Tragically Hip's ode to Milgaard

Since then, a number of (similar but different) stories have caught my attention.

Like this one.

And this one

And this one.

To serve and protect? 

"Now you see my fists? "They are getting ready to f--k you up."

I don't think so.


A young Thomas

 Thomas as he appeared in 2009

 Thomas after he was beaten by police

Kelly Thomas was a homeless man suffering with mental health and drug addiction issues.  He was beaten to death by police officers due to "a culture in law enforcement where those with drug addictions or mental illness are considered not worthy of compassion."

Thomas was in the wrong place at the wrong time. On the night in question - July 5, 2011 -  police had been called about someone vandalizing cars near the Fullerton Transportation Centre in Fullerton, California

Thomas had a history with the police. These encounters ranged from minor infractions to an assault case 16 years prior.

While investigating, two police officers, Manuel Ramos and Jay Cicinelli, came across Thomas. He was shirtless and disheveled. They asked to search him and he refused.  They called for backup.

"Now you see my fists?" Ramos asked Thomas while slipping on a pair of latex gloves. "Yeah, what about them?" Thomas responded. "They are getting ready to f--k you up," said Ramos.  

Then they tasered him five times while beating him to death with their fists and billy clubs. 

The whole video is available online but I haven't watched it. I just read part of the transcript and collapsed while sobbing hysterically.

Both officers pleaded not guilty. 

Both were also acquitted. 

Apparently, beating a helpless, homeless man to death for no reason other than your own uncontrolled rage is not a punishable crime.

I don't know what sharing Thomas's story can, or will, do but I think that it is a story that is worth sharing and more importantly, acting upon. 

A very proactive Facebook page has been set-up. Demonstrations are being held. Petitions are being circulated



"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle."
Plato





No comments:

Post a Comment