Friday, May 31, 2013

Friday five

I think today's post is what you'd call somewhat conceptual. 

Or maybe not.

Anyhoo...

Anytime anyone talks about Muse somebody else is there to mention how many other bands they sound like.

And it's true. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Well today I was listening to Soldier's Poem for the tenth time (as you do) when it struck me that the song reminded me of exactly five other songs.


The first song it sounds like is Can't Help Falling in Love by Elvis. The way it starts, at 0:55, is pretty much a dead ringer for the beginning of The King's classic. But if you don't believe me, take a listen for yourself.


I couldn't help falling in love with Soldier's Poem the very first time I heard it and now I know why.  

E.A.P.

The second song Soldier's Poem sounds like is Everybody Hurts, by R.E.M. I can't pinpoint an exact moment in the song but I'd say the overall melodies are pretty similar. Take a listen.


The third melody Soldier's Poem mimics is Fryderyk Franciszek Chopin's (or to you non-Poles, Frederic Chopin's) Nocturnes. Give it a go from 5 minutes on. Do you hear it or is it just me?


It think it has something to do with the waltz vibe.

Though Soldier's Poem also has a barbershop feel.

But on to the fourth similarly sounding song which is, of course, Ave Maria by Franz Schubert. I say of course because I picked that one out the first time I listened to it, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Here's my bro Zach Galifianakis singing Ave Maria. Because, as Bradley Cooper says, "he's got the voice of an angel."


If you need to go back to Soldier's Poem to compare I'd say the first sound alike clocks in at around 2:17.

The last and fifth song Soldier's Poem reminds me of is Bohemian Rhapsody, by Queen. You don't hear the similarity as much in the live version, as opposed to the studio one, but "the moment" happens at 2:30.

And here's a little Queen.


It's only fitting since I started off with a King.








No comments:

Post a Comment