Thursday, May 9, 2013

Churro don't know what you're talking about

I thought I couldn't do it.

Make donuts at home, I mean.

But it turns out I can. 

And did.

I wouldn't go as far as calling the process easy, or even quick, but it was definitely satisfying to finally glaze and cool over 24 donuts at 11:45 p.m. Almost as satisfying as enjoying one the next morning with a cup of coffee.

After watching Donut Showdown on Food Network Canada I was tricked into thinking making donuts was a simple task. One that could be accomplished in 30 minutes. It is not.

The recipe I used claimed to taste exactly the same as Krispy Kreme, the ubiquitous (and freakin' delicious) Original Glazed® American doughnut which (supposedly) dates back to a recipe from the 1930s. 



I was aware of the danger involved in heating large quantities of oil at home but I figured that was the only major risk involved. 

Apparently not. 

It seems as though every ingredient needs to be heated to a different temperature (warm water for the yeast - 35 degrees Celsius, lukewarm milk for the batter - how many degrees is "luke"?, hot oil for the frying - 175 degrees Celsius, and so on).

Math is not my strong point and I had a near disaster with the yeast situation but I persevered. And I kneaded. And I timed. And I heated. And I cooled. And so on.

 
In the end, the donuts came out (were they birthed or baked?) quite delicious though not exactly the same as "ye old registered trademark."

Churro gotta love a donut.

Or, if you're in the States, a doughnut.






  

6 comments:

  1. Very cooool !! yummmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you to my very first anonymous comment!!! :)
      You just made my day!

      Delete
  2. You have a way with words ... they make me smile and be there! By the way, that bracelet you're wearing, is also unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! Bought for me by my mamita and made for me by my cousin and her husband... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Basia is soooo right, you are a talented writer.
    We also made some donuts, but took a shortcut... the bread machine! 5 min prep time & then frying, actually also pretty good lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea!!! prohibition, on monkland avenue, also makes great homemade donuts... we should go!

    ReplyDelete