Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Part deux

I overheard myself telling the following story to my mother the other night and literally thought to myself "whose life am I leading?" 

The answer, incredibly, is mine.

To recap, it was time to come home after spending a few remarkable days in Cochrane visiting my beau at work. You-know-who thought it would be a great time for me to "feel the fear and do it anyway," or something similar, and so the decision was made (ahem) that we would fly back... by helicopter.


While this may sound slightly out of this world to many (including me) the beau is actually a helicopter pilot so it is not completely so. But still...


As we slowly separated from the earth, literally lifting and gliding up and off the ground, I closed my eyes (to recap: i am afraid of flying) and tightened up for a long, three hour ride. 

But then out of nowhere, and rather rapidly, the most amazing thing happened: I started to enjoy myself. Really enjoy myself. 

What wasn't there to enjoy?

The view was beautiful. The feeling was incredible - so light and free. As Lou Reed sang, it was "just a perfect day." And the fear, incredibly, was gone. I wondered if it was really possible to overcome a fear so quickly and apparently it was because the next time we took off, I actually kept my eyes open. For the first time in a very long time.

And it's a good thing I did too. Or else look what I would have missed: 








Not bad for a citycountry bumpkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment