Saturday, September 22, 2012

Life really is like a box of chocolates

Just when I thought I knew exactly what was coming, another semi-lonely week in Gatineau with little more than Anthony Bourdain and my own (admittedly fertile) imagination to keep me busy, everything changed - in a Cochrane minute!

My beau, whose been away for the past two weeks, offered to fly me down to Cochrane, ON to see how the other half lives. And by the other half I mean Cochranites... and pilots.

Those who know me know that I don't like to fly so even though I was elated at the prospect of seeing my lovely beau, and parts unknown, I was equally terrified at the prospect of having to fly there to accomplish my goals. The first flight was fine, relatively speaking, but the second leg of the journey, from Toronto to Cochrane, took place on a tiny (again, relatively speaking) Dash-8. Not so fine.

Once arrived, I had the pleasure of meeting one of my beau's co-workers, having a delicious dinner at JR's BBQ restaurant, world-renowned (lol) for its ribs, and staying at a shabby-chic motel. My favourite!


The next day, I enjoyed a late breakfast at Tim Hortons. While I usually wouldn't bother mentioning such a thing, it is worth mentioning because Tim Horton, the hockey player, was actually born in Cochrane. I spent the rest of the day exploring downtown (again, lol), reading and taking pictures. It was quite blissful, actually.









On day three, the unimaginable happened. 

I saw a polar bear.

Ganuk was his name and eating fruit was his game.






When the time finally came to make plans to come home, someone (you know who) suggested taking a helicopter. And I, surprisingly, agreed.

Stay tuned for part deux!




This last picture is for you mum - it reminded me of us... mama bear and daughter bear - just like my name implies!


1 comment: