Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Ahora, pleased to meet you!

Lately, it seems as though everything in my life has revolved around food. From watching television about it to taking pictures of it, with eating it, of course, somewhere in between. Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations, which I now watch daily, started the obsession I think. Or maybe it was simply the fact that I love to eat good food.

I also love mustaches.    


On a day trip to Ottawa the other day I happened upon, or rather, my friend walked me into, a delightful Mexican restaurant called Ahora. Located on Dalhousie in the equally delightful Byward Market, Ahora is a small, colourful, authentic, delicious cafeteria-style restaurant. Which is why I took pictures of it in black and white. I'm funny like that.




I knew that it was authentic when I saw that it served tortilla soup, one of my all-time favourite dishes, I once bribed a waiter in Mexico, I kid you not, to get into a restaurant that served tortilla soup. To-die-for tortilla soup.

Made with fried tortilla strips, chicken broth, tomatoes, onion, garlic, pasilla, epazote, avocado, sour cream and lots of lime, tortilla soup is one of those life-changing discoveries, flavour-wise.


What are some of your all-time favourite dishes, or dining spots?


1 comment:

  1. One of my current favorite places to eat is the lovely Japanese place on St. Catherine street, near to Concordia Univesity, called "Kazu." Yes, it is small, and line-ups are long at times, depending on when you arrive, but the food is oishi! Kazu's ambiance reminds me of the time I spent in Japan. Not easy to transport!

    ReplyDelete