Thursday, August 28, 2014

You say taco, I say tiki

I love tacos. 


I love traditional Mexican tacos. I love Vietnamese-inspired tacos (more on these later). I love tacos served out of a food truck. 

I even love taco salad.   

In order to satisfy my love of everything (and anything) taco-related I recently went to Grumman '78, one of Montreal's best taco joints. 


I first heard about ye old Grumman from my "good friend," and I use the term loosely, Anthony Bourdain. When I was a ye old country bumpkin he did a show on The Layover about the best places to eat in Montreal. Even though it was only a pop-up restaurant in the Nouveau Palais (aka hipster heaven) at the time, it made the cut.   

It also made my mouth water.

Though I had tried one of their tacos before, stylishly served out of their eye-catching, lime-green food truck, I really wanted to visit taco headquarters.

And boy am I glad that I did!

Situated in St-Henri (hipster heaven #2), the HQ is located in an old garage that formerly housed the city’s cavalry. Very cool.



I didn't indulge in tiger meat (as far as I know) but I did devour a Banh Mi taco and a catfish taco.

Taco-licious!

The Banh Mi taco was so good that I wanted to recreate it at home. Amazingly, I found Grumman's very own recipe on the Food Network's website. I haven't made it yet (even though it only takes six hours... ha!) but I'll be sure to report back when I do.

I only have one question.

What, exactly, is a GRUMMAN???   

In addition to tacos, I also love everything (and anything) tiki-related.  

Tiki culture is defined as "a 20th-century theme used in Polynesian-style restaurants and clubs originally in the United States and then, to a lesser degree, around the world. Although inspired in part by Tiki carvings and mythology, the connection is loose and stylistic, being an American form and not a Polynesian fine art form."

You know who else thinks you'd have to be a "sick, twisted, lonely, f@&$#r with too many cats" not to love tiki?

That's right! My BFF Bourdain.

 "Cowabonga! To Don Ho!"

Don Ho, in case you're interested, was a "a Hawaiian traditional pop musician, singer and entertainer," best known for the song Tiny Bubbles.

 "tiny bubbles, in the wine, make me happy, make me feel fine"

To honour and celebrate tiki, and my birthday, a group of friends and I recently dined, and danced, at Montreal's best only tiki restaurant: Jardin Tiki (should be hipster heaven #3).


And not a moment too soon, it seems.

Apparently the legendary restaurant is slated for demolition to make way for a retirement home in the near future.

While not up to par to the gourmet garden of delights that is Grumman '78, Jardin Tiki did not disappoint (well... me, at least). 

An all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet that features a variety of seafood (not to mention frog legs), a live band and more coconut-based drinks than you can shake a stick at is all I need to have the time of my life, it seems.



Similar to a two-star resort in the Caribbean, Jardin Tiki harkens back to a time when the term "foodie" did not exist and kale wasn't considered edible - never mind gourmet. 

The wonton soup was the best I've had in ages and the buffet provided a good variety of shiny orange, red, and... beige.


Also, the bacon-wrapped mini hot dogs were to die for!

Intoxicated by rum, or perhaps MSG, I left Jardin Tiki with a strong urge to go back... in time.

I only have one question.

Where were the hipsters???



 








 


1 comment:

  1. I am glad you had a great time, but I don't envy you the choice from a shiny orange, red and beige buffet.

    ReplyDelete