Monday, August 25, 2014

The circle of life

Unlike the circle of trust, the circle of life does not go "round and round" forever. At some point, much like the *wheel of fortune, it comes to an end (unless you believe in reincarnation) and life... comes full circle.

Birth in reverse.

I pondered this (and more) over the weekend as I celebrated my 39th birthday. While I LOVE birthdays (especially my own) I couldn't help but think about the bigger picture. Like life. And death.

I first realized what death really meant at the age of 11, while watching Stand by Me.

"the kid was dead"

I had experienced death before but never realized how final it was. The reality struck me like a ton of bricks. I had a bit of a Woody Allen moment.


Like Woody, I maintain a healthy fear of death to this day.


I also maintain am ever-so-slightly morbid fascination with it.

Apparently I'm not the only one.

According to Wikipedia (!), "the fascination with death extends far back into human history. Throughout time, people have had obsessions with death and all things related to death and the afterlife."

Speaking of the afterlife...

arcade fire's afterlife

I love visiting cemeteries, especially on vacation.

pere lachaise cemetery in paris
 




a cemetery in playa del carmen





Speaking of cemeteries...

dead man's bones' name in stone

I also enjoy anything related to the Day of the Dead, or Dia de los Muertos. The Day of the Dead is a Mexican holiday observed the world over. An occasion to pray for and remember dearly departed friends and family, the holiday is a source of inspiration for many artists, including Kat Von D, who also happens to be one of my greatest inspirations.

Speaking of Kat Von D...  

kat von d's exorcism

*I just checked that Wheel of Fortune reference and it turns out I'm wrong! Like me it premiered in 1975 but it continues to air to this day.







 

2 comments: