Friday, December 19, 2014

Bert and Ernie walk into a Best Buy and...

So I just finished What We Know, the last episode of the first season of Serial, the world's most popular podcast


I literally LOL'd when it started and Adnan asks Sarah if she has an ending... if anyone has an ending it's Adnan himself, or Jay, or... Ronald, a convicted serial killer who ended his own story when he killed himself in Louisiana years ago.

Or Hay.


I started following Serial about halfway through the series after hearing about it via multiple reliable sources, including Elaine Lui and Emily Schuman. It was only after I had listened to about four episodes that I realized I wasn't listening to actors. To this day, I cringe when I think of myself saying "I really like the actor who plays Adnan; he's so believable and has such a nice voice."

Mortified much?

While the series didn't solve the crime and Adnan is still in jail, it did raise some very important, and relevant, questions about race, religion and justice in the United States.

It also hearkened back to the golden age of radio when families gathered around the modest wooden box with a rounded top for entertainment. It actually got people to drop everything and just listen.


Speaking of entertainment, it also irked many (including Hae's family) who felt that the real-life murder of a teenage girl shouldn't be exploited for... fun. Amateur crime solvers have taken to the internet in droves, especially Reddit, to speculate on whodunit and many feel that these people are blurring the lines between reality and fantasy, fact and fiction.

I mean, even Sesame Street and Best Buy have joined the buzz...



In the end, I have one final question and it isn't the one you think it is.

Do you think the podcast's main theme sounds like Gyptian's Hold Yuh?  

bad dream by nick thorburn

hold yuh by gyptian

... Next time, on Serial. 








 


3 comments:

  1. I loved listening to the series. And I am not sure about the open ending. Really hope that once the DNA tests are made we will hear about it on Serial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just came across this video online. Check it out! So cool that Ewan McGregor was obsessed with it too!
    http://www.celebitchy.com/411284/ewan_mcgregor_other_celebrities_were_serial-obsessed_too_links/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so cool! i can't wait for it to start up again... i miss my "radio" days.

      Delete