Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Fiesta for one

As yesterday was a Monday, and thus the beginning of another long no-carb (read: no-cheeseburger) week, I decided to recreate a particularly tasty taco salad I had the pleasure of trying at a baby shower last week. 

I substituted ground meat for chicken breast and, sadly, left out the tortilla chips entirely. Despite the lack of carbs it made for a surprisingly delicious, and filling, Monday meal for one.

The beau and I visited the Jean-Talon Market last week and thanks to a quick visit to El Rey del Taco (the taco king, I'm assuming) I had a couple of authentic ingredients, like Mexican crema, which made the salad even more tasty than I had imagined.

Lucky me!

I started by seasoning the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, cumin, ground coriander and ancho chilli pepper. After quickly browning them in olive oil I baked them in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees, turning them over once mid-way.


While the chicken was in the oven, I started building my salad. I started with arugula lettuce, added diced tomatoes, avocados and cheddar cheese, and finished with coarsely chopped fresh coriander.



Once the chicken was fully cooked, I removed it from the oven, cut it into bite-size pieces and let it cool. 

While it was cooling, I made a quick dressing composed of Mexican crema, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper.


I tossed it all together and wished I was enjoying it on a beach in Playa del Carmen rather than on a sofa in Cote-St-Luc. One can dream... of carbs and beaches.

this salad is on fire

Oddly enough, the overall flavouring of the salad, and evening, reminded me of Girl on Fire by Alicia Keyes... and so, here it is:


 


  

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious, I wish I could have it for lunch instead of the argula that's in the fridge since Saturday. It sure must have been tasty!

    ReplyDelete