Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Love, life, (labels) and the pursuit of happiness

Like Seinfeld, Sex and the City spawned a slew of quotables that can be used in everyday life. Nary a day goes by, in fact, that a SATC quote, or situation (getting broken up with on a Post-It note, anyone?), doesn't come to mind.   


But maybe that's just me.

I was out for dinner at Il Cortile with a friend the other night when she unleashed one of the greatest compliments ever. 

"You remind me of Carrie," she said. End quote.

While some people may not view the above statement as a compliment, given Carrie's ever-so-slightly neurotic nature, I most certainly do.

Like Carrie, I'm a writer. Like Carrie, I'm a bon vivant of not just food and drink but also of clothes and shoes. Like Carrie, I'm blessed/cursed with a Mr. Big. Like Carrie, I have curly blonde hair... and so forth.

Like the actress who portrayed the ever-so-slightly neurotic writer, Sarah Jessica Parker (SJP), my initials also run the gamut of three characters - with J firmly ensconced as the middle one; UJL.

Freaky!

A couple of weeks ago, when my laptop suddenly crashed, I was reminded of the following quote from season 4, episode 8 (My Motherboard, My Self): "No one talks about backing up. You've never used that expression with me before, ever, but apparently everybody's secretly running home at night and backing up their work."

Like Carrie, obviously, I'm not one of those people. Unlike Carrie, my computer didn't die. Yesss...

Some SATC quotes are funny. "You can't swing a Fendi purse without knocking over five losers," "I like my money where I can see it - hanging in my closet," "I have a style and jewelled panties aren't it," and "All righty? He said all righty? Now I'm thinking the upsetting thing isn't that you proposed, it's that you proposed to a guy that says "all righty,"" are some examples.


Some SATC quotes are life lessons, like "maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they just need to run free until they find someone just as wild to run with," "They say nothing lasts forever; dreams change, trends come and go, but friendships never go out of style," and "You and I are like that red wall. It's a good idea in theory, but somehow it doesn't quite work."


And finally, some SATC quotes are just plain sad. "Oh, it's never different. It's six years of never being different! This is it! I am done! Don't call me ever again! Forget you know my number! In fact, forget you know my name! And you can drive up this street all you want - because I don't live here anymore!" is a doozy. "We're so over we need a new word for over," is another.

By the way, I'm back in the city. I guess that makes me a citycountrycity bumpkin.    

 


2 comments:

  1. So true and welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. merci my dear! u gotz to come visit! who were u, i forget? (sam, charlotte or miranda) or we can both be carrie since ur a writer too... and a great one at that!

    ReplyDelete